Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Racing Dreams


What little boy has never dreamed of being a race car driver. I can remember watching the Indy 500 and being mezmerized by the speed and the sleek cars. I can also remember watching Richard Petty is his blue STP car. Back then, as much as I wanted to be a driver, I thought the guys who worked on the cars must be pretty smart. Even my dad who was VERY smart did little more than wash his car. I thought it was very cool to be able to fix something as complex as a car.

As I got older, got a car and got grease under my nails, I realized I was not smart enough. Or was I too smart? After experimenting on my first car and ultimately blowing the head gasket, I decided to leave the hard stuff to the experts.

Now that I live in Race City, USA - everything around me is focused on racing. There are plenty of opportunities for middle-aged guys to try and start a 'racing career'. While I no longer have any aspirations to strap on a racing helmet, I am still drawn to the sport. Living in this town, it is easy to find a connection. Through church, I have gotten to know the McReynolds Family. Larry Mac has a wonderful family. Three wonderful kids and a charming wife. All three kids are very reserved and respectful.

Brandon is the middle child and only boy. At 14, he is already a very good race car driver. He competes in the Bandalaro Young Guns ranks. These cars are very souped-up go-carts. Brandon's mom invited me out to the track and I jumped at the chance. For the first few weeks I was an awe-struck observer, but last night I made my leap. Before the main event, I met Brandon and family in the garage at the track. We chatted, but mostly I watched what was going on. An actual race car was being prepared right in front of me. Before Brandon got strapped into the car, his mom asked me to pray with him. WOW! I led a quick prayer with them and before I knew it, I was helping Larry Mac push the tool cart to the starting grid. We were out there with the other racers (kids) and their families/teams. A few of the dads are Nextel Cup drivers. After a prolonged opening festivities, the race was underway and I was standing with Larry as he leaned into every turn that Brandon was making on the track. Brandon did very well and finished 3rd. After the race we met him in the inspection garage and then went back to the garage to pack up. While I was helping load the hauler, Larry Mac commented that I bet I wished I never offered to help. He was so wrong. I am hooked!

Brandon aspires to race in the big leagues. I would love to help him get there.

2 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Blogger Aaroncoal said...

Having your son become a pro racer would be awesome!

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why haven't you written about Trevor yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home